Monday, January 3, 2011

First Day

Well, our lives are about to change. Jon started his first day of a new job today. It came up kind of out of the blue. Some friends we've known our whole Iowa lives (Randy Nesbit and Davey Bloom) offered Jon a job with them selling insurance wholesale to insurance companies (or something like that). They had a new zone/area/district (I can't think of the word) open up for sales and offered it to Jon so he'll actually be travelling to Kansas every week for a while, and then probably just once a month after he establishes contacts and relationships. He's trying it part time for the first two months while he contines with mortgages and if its a good fit, he'll start full time and close his mortgage business.
This is going to impact our lives a lot, since Jon's owned his own company almost our whole married lives. He's always only worked a handful of hours every day (if that). His schedule has always differed from day to day and he's usually in and out of the house all day. He's pretty good at staying busy with different projects but he's always had a lot of free time. I can't imagine having a husband work from 9 -5! I rely on him a lot for help with the boys and he also does the majority of the cleaning and half the laundry. I know--most of you moms are probably thinking, "Oh, boo hoo. Now you'll know how the rest of us do it!" And yeah, that's true. I've had it easy compared to a lot of moms. But its all I've ever known!
I'm excited for the change this will bring. I'm sure there will be a lot of positives--I like predictability so it'll be really nice to know his schedule from day to day. And when he's home, he'll be home. For the past 8 years he's had to take phone calls at any time during the day and evening and even on vacations. He never got a true "break" from work. But I do feel like I'll have to step it up around the house. I'm a terrible housekeeper and I've let him do most of it since I do more of the childcare. I'll keep you posted as we adjust to this new chapter of our lives.

I asked him if I could take a "first day" picture of him-posed by the front door with his back-pack or something, but he wouldn't let me :)

6 comments:

  1. First of all...LOVE the new blog set up! The pics in your header are FANTASTIC!!

    Second...What a great opportunity for Jon and your family! The unknowns can be scary and it will be quite the transition for all of you but I know you will handle it with grace. You are a great wife and mom who I think can handle just about anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just didn't want my picture yet because my spiderman lunch box was in the dishwasher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fam pic with Bennett resting his head on his daddy's shoulder.....Very precious!

    My dad dabbled in insurance for a while, when I was in HS actually. It didn't last long. I hope that doesn't discourage you (or your hubby) but my dad is a BUSINESS man with a capital B and when a job isn't rollin in the $$$ or it isn't challenging enough, he bounces. That was always the rule with my mom. So long as it didn't effect the family financially, he could change jobs as much as he wanted!

    Love the new header..Keep us posted on how things go! :)

    Don't worry about the housework and feeling guilty...It's nice you have help!! All those whiny ladies that have to do it all should really find something else to complain about! Housework is life! (sad face on that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to both of you! Sounds like a great opportunity, and traveling to KC isn't too shabby. You may have to tag along every so often to sneak in a little time at the Plaza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! congrats to jon! i hope this transition happens smoothly.
    and i love your new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i guess that means you'll have to cut way back on your daily blog reading:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email if you'd like a reply! Thanks for the love.