Thursday, November 12, 2009

Got Soy?

So this is Day 1 of the No Dairy Experiment. I took Bennett to our chiropractor yesterday. He's had a runny nose for at least 2 months straight and it turned into a bad cold again. He's had a runny nose almost all the time for the last year. It'll go away for a few days or a week or two at most and then come back again. He also has eczema patches around his mouth and got it really bad behind the knees last winter. I've been putting the Arbonne baby oil and lotion on him religiously but it won't clear up. Dr. Hassel said he may have a dairy allergy and all of those symptoms are signs his body has been trying to fight something off. He said to try no dairy for three weeks and it should be obvious by then if that's what it is or not. I'd read before that eczema is usually a sign of a food allergy but I just kind of ignored it and accredited it to the dry skin a lot of the Colyer side has.
At first I thought, oh, no big deal. He can have soy or rice milk with his cereal and we'll find some soy yogurt. But then I thought about how much that boy eats cheese! Okay, so no quesadillas for a while...and then today I kept thinking of all the other things with milk or butter in it. Oh my. This may be harder than I thought! But man, if that's the answer to the eczema and runny noses, I'll be thrilled!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it, Have! It can definitely be tough, but it's doable. Zack's struggled with food allergies. Just at his 3 year check-up did he finally get the ok to try dairy and eggs. he still can't have peanuts. He's doing ok, but still has an issue occasionally. Your pediatrician can do tests for food allergies - that's what we've done with Zack. Blessings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that we did this with Ella when she was Bennett's age for a while. It is challenging, but definitely not as hard on them as we think it will be. We didn't do any soy because I am a little leery of the estrogen thing. Check out the health market at HyVee. There are lots of different dairy free cheeses. Ella loved the Rice Dream ice cream in place of the regular treat. She just never knew any different. Two other thing, do you guys drink organic milk? We switched to that and had little problem because it doesn't have antibiotics and stuff from the cows in it. Also, could it be a wheat allergy? Just a thought :) Hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haverlee, I feel for you, and Bennett! I have been lactose intolerant my whole life and never knew it until I was 11 years old! Now I just avoid dairy like the plague! But you do learn to make adjustments and live without out it!
    good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email if you'd like a reply! Thanks for the love.