Sunday, January 20, 2013

so many books, so little time. unless you're on vacation.

Have you discovered goodreads.com? I know, it's been around a long time but I resisted joining it. I didn't want another type of social media taking up more time that I didn't even have to waste in the first place. But frankly, it's really hard to find really great books. I've read a lot of duds lately. A lot of pretty-goods and I-liked-its but not a lot of greats or I-couldn't-put-it-downs. Hard to believe that the last time I added a book to my blog list on the right (anything that's 5 out of 5 stars in my opinion) was a full year ago!!
Enter goodreads.com where I can see the average rating of any book out there. So instead of just going by one person's opinion (either from someone I know or a review from a magazine), I can verify it with hundreds of people's opinions and make sure it averages over 4 stars. It's awesome.
I read two "I-couldn't-put-it-downs" on my trip and got half-way through a third (two new ones added to the side-bar). Which frankly, having so much time to read is half the fun of traveling for me. I don't get a whole lot of time to read at home and if I am, it means I'm ignoring some mess that I should be attending to (or possibly a child or two).
I think I chuckled out loud at this line from Half-Broke Horses:
"I wished I could read every book in the library. Sometimes after I finished a particularly good book, I had the urge to get the library card, find out who else had read the book, and track them down to talk about it." 
Oh, how I relate! I wish I had time for a book club! Which books have been your favorites lately? #bookwormsunite
#heaven


1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking today that I had to tell you about this book I just finished called "Lives other than My Own", by Emmanuel Carrere. It's a hard book to categorize as it's semi-autobigraphical, semi-biographical and semi-fiction. It's a really interesting read stemming from Carrere's experience with the Tsunami in the South Pacific. It's a quick, short read that gets a little technical toward the middle, but is still one of the best books I've read in a while. I have a couple more in my back pocket.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your email if you'd like a reply! Thanks for the love.